Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, July 28, 2006

New Teacher Orientation

It sounds like more than it was. It was just watching a video about blood borne pathogens (which I've now seen about 5 times) and filling out insurance paperwork. After that I went to have lunch with Steven and the secretary from Hernandez had called. I needed to go by the school and try on a shirt to give her my size. The shirts are for convocation. I asked the principal a few questions but she had to go back to a training. She called the head spec ed teacher from the campus and asked if she could stop by and talk to me for a few minutes. We talked for about an hour and a half. I will be teaching 5th graders. I'll have about 12 or so and I'll go with them from language arts, to math, and science. I'll have a few other students that I go help as needed while my kids are at their specials (pe, computer, etc). I won't have to do lesson plans or keep a gradebook. And they have a spec ed clerk who fills in the ARD and IEP paperwork. So pretty much what I'll be doing is teaching without a lot of the other stuff. S (the head spec ed teacher) said that she thought inclusion was a great position because there's so little of the outside stuff to keep up with. Just progress reports, some paperwork, and then teaching. I'm pretty nervous but I'm excited also. S said that the teachers I'm working with are great and will treat me like a co-teacher (which is what I am) not like an aide. And they have experience with co-teaching, so that makes me feel better.

Today Steven and I went and got our marriage license. It really wasn't exciting. I can only imagine how I seemed to other people when I worked at the county clerk's office. She probably does dozens a week and has that not-quite-polite voice of repeating the same questions over and over: "Are you related to the bride/groom? Are you deliquent on child support? Are you currently married?" But it's exciting to have that piece of paper ready for next Saturday.

No comments: